Launched by Mayor Eric Garcetti and administered by the Civil + Human Rights and Equity Department, The Racial Equity and Newly Empowered Workplaces (RENEW) Task Force is a broad coalition committed to a clear goal: rooting out structural racism in our businesses and building a more just, fair, and equitable Los Angeles.
Drawn from across the private sector, RENEW will bring company representatives together to support and contribute to Los Angeles’ racial equity plan as outlined in the Mayor’s Executive Directive No. 27. Members of the Task Force have signed the RENEW Pledge that commits their enterprises to clear goals and concrete steps to open more doors to Black and Latino workers, and improve the diversity, equity, and inclusivity of their operations and processes with respect to the communities they serve.
Founding RENEW members include:
- Karim Webb, CEO, 4th Mvmt; RENEW Co-Chair
- Ana Flores, Founder + CEO, #WeAllGrow Latina Network; RENEW Co-Chair
- Danny Acosta, Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- Nambi Gardner, Senior Associate, Gensler
- Audrey Handelman, Senior Associate, Gensler
- Karin Kuo, Vice President of People, Relativity Space
- Martin Muoto, Founder, SoLA Impact
- Perika J. Sampson, Executive Director & Sr. Regional Diversity Officer, Morgan Stanley
- Jamie Sullivan, Director of Social Impact, Soylent
- Demetra Thornton, Architect & Senior Associate, Gensler
- Jose Torres, Vice President of Learning & Organizational Development, Universal Music Group
- The Annenberg Foundation will support and fund the data collection and reporting process.
RENEW is working to share best practices, create a peer-to-peer mentorship network for task force members, and promote the pledge for wider adoption by other companies.
As part of this process, the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) worked closely with RENEW members and the City’s Civil and Human Rights Department to help stand up the task force and integrate member feedback into its materials.
RENEW has also created the RENEW Playbook, a blueprint that provides private sector leaders with the necessary tools to advance racial equity and inclusion within their companies. Moving forward, RENEW will share lessons and best practices throughout the length of the pledge as well as data collection process and new pledgees.